Sunday 3 August 2008

EEEBuntu: Ubuntu for the EEE PC

Recently I have been pondering whether to buy the eee pc 1000 for university work. Being a massive Ubuntu fan the first thought that came into my mind was can I install Ubuntu on it. The answer is yes, however there are a few issues. People have been eeexperiencing(sorry I just had to do it once) problems with getting the wifi and microphone working. Although there are solutions for these problems, it is still a bit of a hassle. But do not worry, some good people have come together to create eeeBuntu. This is a modified version of Ubuntu, more suited for the eee pc. EeeBuntu comes in two flavors, one with GNOME and compiz fusion and the other with packages from Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It includes all the usual goodies found in the normal Ubuntu but with the added bonus of fixes for wifi and other issues. I don't think there is any serious improvements like better battery life or faster boot with this distro but I could be wrong. I'm going to give eeeBuntu a go as soon as I get my hands on a eee pc. For now check out the video below.




Link:
eeebuntu.org


3 comments:

  1. You might want to look at Mandriva, too. It supports the eeePC "out of the box". I installed it (the live "One" version of Mandriva) on my 701 and everything was detected and worked without any extra effort on my part.

    It runs really well and is very responsive on the 701. Compiz and Metisse work great, and Mandriva also gives you a choice of Gnome or KDE, along with other desktop environments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. be warned-- eeebuntu does NOT currently work out of the box for eee 1000.

    there are some updates in the works to fix this, and it should be fine when they release version 8.04.1

    for now, wifi does not work on the 1000/1000h and also (i think) the 901

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Announcing the Full releases of eeebuntu 3.0!

    Just to inform you that Eeebuntu 3.0 Standard and NBR editions are now available for download. Links are provided on our webpage!

    For further information please feel free to email me : guitaraholic@eeebuntu.org
    Or speak to me on the forums http://forums.eeebuntu.org

    Thanks for your continued support of our project

    Paul McDonough aka Guitaraholic
    Eeebuntu Development Team

    ReplyDelete